A few of my New Year’s resolutions:
* More friends/family time. 2011 seemed to be a c r a z y-busy year for everyone I know. It seems, however, as the year ends that everyone wants to slow their roll. And they/we mean it! I want to do my part by organizing simple kid-friendly gatherings at our place: Sunday Suppers (some of you may remember I used to have a shared meal with my friends/family every few Sundays), Dance Parties (two hours, at some point on an early weekend evening, to do nothing but listen to records and dance) and Wine Time (a 4–6 p.m. glass of wine with a little snack on any given weeknight).
* Waste less; use less. It’s becoming more and more clear to me how much I waste and how little adjustments can make a big difference. I want to be more mindful about letting food go bad before I use it, creating excess trash and purchasing things I don’t need or won’t absolutely use in regular rotation.
* Up with cookbook cooking. I am lucky enough to have a wonderful cookbook collection but I find more and more I am too lazy to really use it! This coming year I would like to cook at least one recipe from every single cookbook I own and share those recipes here with you. I am also happy that this resolution will help me eat more meals at home and that sounds lovely to me as well.
* Visit Portland, Oregon. SCB: See you in March! This resolution I promise to do and I simply can’t wait.
* Be more compassionate with myself. In 2011 I said out loud for the first time, “I guess I actually am human.” A simple thing to say but for me a very hard thing to accept. I’ve always thought of myself as the kind of person who can do anything, everything and even a little bit more all at the same time. It’s just not possible nor should it be. In 2012 I want to be kind to myself accepting that I am not perfect, I never will be perfect and that this enlightened and inspired reality is actually what life is all about.
: : :
This photograph is from the summer in Brooklyn. Oh beautiful summer dappled light … see you again in several months!
Happy, happy new year to each and every one of you! We will be back here on January 13, 2012.